Hello! I'm Joey
Joey Lee /
Mozilla Science Fellowship Onboarding, Oct. 2015
Researcher - Tromping around in Puerto Rico.
Media Artist - Making digital things.
Map maker - drawing connections b/w things
Traveler - Brazilian Amazon
- Name: Joey Lee
- Born & Raised: SF Bay Area, California - Korean Heritage
- B.A. Geography/Environmental Studies - UCLA '12
- RA Senseable City Lab - MIT '13
- M.Sc Geography (Biogeoscience) - UBC (soon!)
- Mozilla Fellow (now!)
I was on billboards in LA '12
I LOVE bowling
Our Changing Environment - We have to do something about Global Climate Change!
Cities - People ~ Environment!
Open Source - Science, Software, Data, & Web!
Maptime! - Open mapping for all
Processing/P5js Community/ Viz Community - Technological Literacy!
What does Open Science mean to me?
Open Science means...
- Open Knowledge
- Open Opportunities
- for Learning
- for Participation
- for Action
- Open Processes
Thesis - Mapping CO2 Emissions in Cities
Aerial Bold - The Search for Letterforms
Teaching @ UBC Geography - Data viz
Personal Projects - "Future Strangers", many more!
Big Atlas of LA Pools - 43,123 Pools, 73 Books, >6k pages
MIT, HubCab - 40% of trips could be saved!
The Gap - Need more skills!
Buy in - How do we get people to care?
Super keen to:
- learn, learn, learn
- improve programming skills! - hardcore web stuff & viz stuff(the full stack, oh yeah)
- communication and teaching skills
- engage in the culture of open science/communication of science.
Idea 1: Narrative Atlas of Open Research @ UBC
- Series of web tools/stories about the places being "touched" by research at UBC.
- Tangible book
- Purpose: Help close the loop of research by developing a set pieces that allow people to interact with the data & learn.
Idea 2: Mapping Library for P5.js
- Visualizaing Geospatial data is tough - learning how to do it is even harder. We have tools like CartoDB (which are AWESOME), but what I'm really interested in is in that moment when you're learning how to work with geospatial data and learning how to code stuff for the web at the same time.
- Why P5? Growing user community - bridging communities together - friendlier learning curve :)
- Geoprocessing in R.
- Geoprocessing in Python
- Web maps!
- data hacking the web
- Github tutorial
- making slides with Markdown (e.g. Slidify)
So Thrilled to be here!
Thanks so much Moz!
Special Thanks to Kaitlin and the team for setting this up!